What is finishing in football?
We explore finishing, why it matters and how it can help you develop skilful players.
Finishing is scoring goals. It’s what players love, and the buzz of putting the ball in the net never wears off.
Whether it’s a 30-yard strike into the top corner, a tap-in with the instep, or a header from a cross, goals win you games. By mastering finishing, you can ensure good play – all over the pitch – is rewarded.
Scoring a goal is the tip of the iceberg, though. To achieve a skilful finish, players need to:
- get into a good position (one that’s hard to defend)
- scan the pitch (to gather info on the opposition)
- move into the most appropriate space
- judge the flight of the ball
- decide whether to control the pass or shoot first time
- finish with the ideal amount of power.
And they need to time all of this to perfection. This is obviously a tricky task – so your players need lots of opportunities to practice.