About the programme
We’re committed to providing on-the-pitch support and guidance to aid the development of new coaches and volunteers in the grassroots game, in particular coaches from historically underrepresented backgrounds.
Our team of Community Champions are located across the entire country, providing local support to clubs and providers who are looking to diversify their coaching workforce with more females and/or coaches from ethnically diverse backgrounds.
From helping coaches build their confidence and step over the sidelines, to exploring opportunities outside of weekly football sessions, a Community Champion is an individual who inspires others to improve and enjoy delivering football. Quite simply, the mantra of a community champion is:
‘To identify, recruit and support new coaches/volunteers from historically underrepresented communities across grassroots football’.
To achieve this, our team of Community Champions across Women & Girls and Diversity & Inclusion employ the following tactics:
- Get to know the coach(es), parents and players.
- Build trust.
- Understand the context – what does the club offer, and what help do they need?
Recruit and deploy
- Enquire and engage with parents to take the step over the sidelines.
- Source wider opportunities within the club.
- Source wider opportunities outside of club.
- Demonstrate what coaching and stepping onto the grass looks like.
- Support coaches to have a go.
- Observe and provide positive feedback.
Signpost and support
- Follow up and agree next steps to continue their development.
- Regular contact throughout the season.